3 Introducing immune thrombocytopenia
In this reading assignment you will get acquainted with the current definition and understading of ITP pathophysiology.
- Stasi R, Newland A.C. ITP: A historical perspective. Br J Haematol (2011) 153:437-450.
- Read the abstract and introduction
- Read The discovery of platelets and their link with ITP, from The term ‘platelets’… to that platelets were fragments of megakaryocytes (Wright, 1906).
- The section Evolving concepts in the pathophysiology of ITP, starting from the Harrington–Hollingsworth experiment, to the end
- In Michelson
- page 819-822, covering parts I to III
- Make a brief scheme for yourself explaining the Harrington experiment - how many patients and blood recepients were invovled? What was the background of the recepients?
- How would the meaning of the experiment change if patients with ITP also had been transfused with platelets, or had been pregnant before?
- In the Harrington experiment, what was the percentage of transfused blood or plasma in relationship to the total blood or plasma volume of a recepient?