8 Alternative clearance pathways
This assignment should give you some exposure to newly discovered pathways that may have a role in the clearance of platelets in ITP.
- p.51, the introduction, and p. 60, from Glycosylation and Platelet Clearance
- Li et al. Desialylation is a mechanism of Fc-independent platelet clearance and a therapeutic target in immune thrombocytopenia. Nature Communications (2015), 6;7737.
- Read the abstract
- Go to the method section at the end of the manuscript. Read the section concerning Patients and on the next page the section In vitro platelet-antibody assays from Human platelets … until responsiveness before measurements.
- Olsson et al. T-cell-mediated cytotoxicity toward platelets in chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nature Medicine (2003), 9(9):1123–1124.
- read the abstract and first part of the paper until destruction by cell-mediated mechanisms.
- study at Figure 2, making use of the figure caption
- List the platelet glycoproteins that you know and their functions (don’t look this up)
- Make a drawing of the desialylation-clearance pathway as you understand it. Make it as abstract or specific as you like.
- Draw the T cell clearance pathway as you understand it.