4 Antibody effector functions
In this section you will learn how antibodies initiate pathways that lead to the destruction of opsonized cells, which are collectively called effector functions.
- Vidarsson G, Dekkers G, Rispens T. IgG subclasses and allotypes: from structure to effector functions. Front Immunol (2014) 5.
- Read the abstract and introduction, and IgG ANTIBODY RESPONSES until by other lymphocytes and antigen-presenting cells.
- Read in EFFECTOR MECHANISMS the C1q section until causing disruption of the targeted bilipid membrane, and the Fcγ-receptors section until FcγRI.
- Study the following figure in detail
- Make a schematic drawing of an antibody opsonized cell and the cellular and molecular effector functions that an antibody can activate.
- What are the specific differences in effector functions between IgG and IgM antibodies? Why do you think are they different?